The second annual Jersey Water Works Conference is day-long event that will bring together more than 300 state and local decision-makers, practitioners and stakeholders to amplify the importance of addressing New Jersey’s water infrastructure, explore innovative solutions and celebrate the Jersey Water Works collaborative as an effective, comprehensive approach to achieving statewide impact.
The conference features national and local speakers, the announcement of commitments to action by the members of Jersey Water Works, and a panel discussion about the City of Newark and its water infrastructure challenges and opportunities.
8:00 - Registration Opens
9:00 - Welcome
Hon. Ras Baraka, Mayor, City of Newark
9:05 - Regulators’ Roundtable
- Peggy Gallos, Executive Director, Association of Environmental Authorities of New Jersey (moderator)
- Dan Kennedy, Assistant Commissioner, Water Resources Management, New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
- Javier Laureano, Director, Clean Water Division, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 2
9:25 - Morning Plenary Session: Smart Infrastructure, Strong Communities
State and national thought leaders from across sectors will discuss the next big policy conversation in New Jersey: how to raise the billions of dollars needed to upgrade water infrastructure, and how to ensure those investments strengthen the state’s economy, environment and communities.Panelists will consider the question from their diverse perspectives, highlighting opportunities for economic development, innovative financing mechanisms, equitable rates that are affordable for all, and the future of technology and water.
- Maggie Moran, Managing Partner, Kivvit (moderator)
- Robert Ballenger Esq., Staff Attorney, Community Legal Services of Philadelphia
- Doug Sims, Director of Strategy and Finance, Natural Resources Defense Council Center for Market Innovation
- Thomas J. Stanley, Chief Technology Officer, Water & Process Technologies/GE Power
- Utility and Transportation Contractors Association
10:45 - Break and Networking
11:00 - Keynote Address
Hon. Stephanie A. Miner, Mayor, Syracuse, N.Y.
Introduction by Hon. James Florio, former governor, State of New Jersey
As mayor of Syracuse, N.Y., Stephanie Miner has been a national leader in bringing federal and state resources, along with innovative approaches, to the challenge of upgrading and modernizing the city’s water infrastructure. Her keynote address will focus on how New Jersey cities can advocate effectively for state-level support, employ innovation in managing their water infrastructure assets, and make stormwater a key asset and tool in neighborhood revitalization.
11:50 - Jersey Water Works Program
Announcement of new efforts and commitments made that advance the goals of Jersey Water Works.
- Jane Kenny, Owner and Managing Partner, The Whitman Strategy Group LLC;
Co-Chair, Jersey Water Works
- Mark Mauriello, Director of Environmental Affairs and Planning, Edgewood Properties;
Co-Chair, Jersey Water Works
12:30 - Lunch and Networking
1:00 - Facing Water Woes Head-On in Newark
New Jersey’s urban water challenges are coming to a head in Newark. The city faces regulatory and public health mandates to upgrade aged, dysfunctional water infrastructure that exacerbates local flooding, contaminates drinking water with lead, discharges raw sewage and requires expensive emergency repairs. How can Newark take on expensive infrastructure investments without stymieing private-sector growth and making rates unaffordable for residents? Speakers will discuss the risks and opportunities Newark faces as it pursues a prosperous, sustainable, equitable future for its residents and employers.
- Chip Hallock, President and Chief Executive Officer, Newark Regional Business Partnership (moderator)
- Andrea Adebowale, Director, Department of Water and Sewer Utilities, City of Newark
- Linda Morgan, Real Estate Development, Urban Planning, Marketing and External Affairs, RBH Group LLC
- Joseph Della Fave, Executive Director, Ironbound Community Corporation
- Anna Shipp, Project Manager, GSI Partners, Sustainable Business Network of Philadelphia
2:30 - Adjourn